Collecting research is an important part of the writing process, and it’s important to realize research can be time-consuming. Give yourself time to collect strong sources that match your paper goals and help to inform your own growing position, and realize that writing and research should begin to happen simultaneously. This means that as you write, you will need to come back and collect more research, which will then lead to more writing (remember – it’s all interconnected!).
This week, we are getting started with your academic source collection by starting the Annotated Bibliography for your paper. Because you will keep the same topic throughout this quarter, this annotated bibliography will grow. In fact, you will submit a version of it during the qualitative research paper unit that will require 5-7 sources. For now, let’s start by annotating your first two sources.
Be sure to review the instruction on the Annotated Bibliography, as well as the sample entry. Download sample entry.
Our goals for this assignment include:
- Selecting two scholarly sources that represent informed perspectives on your topic.
- Formatting the sources in full APA style for the Reference List.
- Annotating each source with the “They Say/I Say” method by including two paragraphs after each Reference.
- Paragraph 1: “They Say”: This paragraph is a high-level summary that objectively states the key information from the source. It should be written in your own words.
- Paragraph 2: “I Say”: This paragraph should explain why you find the source credible and an important addition to your paper, and it should provide your response to the source’s perspective (your agreement, disagreement, or a combination of both). Consult the templates Download templatesto help formulate your responses.
Please review the grading rubric below to ensure you meet all assignment criteria. Your Annotated Bibliography must contain the following:
- Correct APA formatting for the full Reference. Consult APA resources in our course and through the Purdue OWL. Note: all References should be listed in alphabetical order.
- They Say/I Say paragraphs that include complete sentences, proper grammar and punctuation, a clear demonstration of source understanding, and your own growing insight on the topic.
- Double-spacing, Times New Roman, 12-point font.
Note: It is recommended that you submit your Annotated Bibliography toSmarthinking Online Tutoring (Links to an external site.) (Links to an external site.) for feedback prior to submitting for a grade. Just be sure to give them 48-hours to respond.